Monday, December 8, 2014

A thrifty and delicious way to use pumpkins.

We waited until last minute to get pumpkins this year and by last minute I mean like the week of Halloween. For most people you're probably thinking "that is totally not last minute", but for a neurotic freak such as myself....if we waited any longer I would have panicked.

Planned on doing the pumpkin patch but opted out as to not deal with huge long lines on a weekend. So I took the small Irish prince to a local paint and hardware store that has a huge selection of just about any pumpkin you could think of.

We look around and find two perfect pumpkins and of course his royal highness had to get a miniature pumpkin to bring home and paint. All together this should have been 10.50 but to my surprise it wound up being 5.25. WHAT A SCORE!!!

Get the pumpkins home and prepare to carve after football is over. Tot and I carved a spider pumpkin which wound up looking more like a giant whole than a spider, which is fine because we had a splendid time doing it.... Note to self for next time, make sure the pumpkin is large enough for the template. While I did the harder pieces of his pumpkin he painted his mini and I reveled in how proud he was of himself.

It was late after carving just the one so I separated the seeds from the guts and bagged each seperately for the next day. After carving the second one the next morning( I hand drew captain barnacles from Octonauts) I again separated the innards.

In the afternoon I baked up the seeds Just some olive oil and sea salt for one batch and sea salt and cayenne pepper  for the second batch. I ate them In about a day flat.

Then I made Pumpkin pasta sauce/ "bisque"
Recipe

put all the innards into the food processor until it is a slightly chunky sauce consistency.
Then add enough chicken stock to go around your pot three turn. I then added about a cup of whole milk.  A shake of cinnamon, 4 cloves of garlic minced, a couple shakes of cayenne, a tablespoon of jarred Italian seasoning and about tenleaves of fresh sage chopped up nice and fine.

Let all of the ingredients come to a boil and then simmer for a half hour to an hour then add as much fresh shredded parm cheese and salt and pepper to taste.

Serve over pasta or eat as is!!

No comments:

Post a Comment